Thursday, May 23, 2019

Endless Bullshit

Honestly, some people.
I have commented here before that I semi-regularly read this person's blog, who doesn't half talk some rubbish. I only read it when I can stand to, but continue to read it because she is an interesting person.
Previously I think I have commented that she spouted one day that she had this particular bowl to eat from and how green and wonderful it was because it was reused from a salad.
The salad in question was from Marks and Spencer.
I know so, because she just threw that in there.
She also spouts the wonders of a minimalist wardrobe. This seems to entail fairly frequently giving her current clothes away and starting afresh by buying a new wardrobe on eBay.
But the most ridiculous thing she talks about is the Gerson protocol. One of these days I will do a post about why it's utter nonsense, but suffice to say that it is a quack treatment for cancer. She thinks it will stop her getting cancer. The Hound has news for her, that people who peddle dangerous quackery can find themselves getting a good hard slap from Fate. But anyway, she published some pictures of her kitchen, with its array of expensive foodstuffs, and amongst them was special Gerson coffee. Look online, I promise your hair will stand on end when you see how much it costs. And it's not even for drinking - it's for coffee enemas!
All of these things are only available to rich people. The cost of minimalism is that you have to have money to buy things you need because you don't have them. Poor people tend to own more stuff because they can't afford to replace stuff they have thrown out.
The blogger I am talking about presents all this shit as a'spiritual' thing. The Hound thinks it's just another form of consumerism.
Today she has posted a link to a YouTube channel about minimalism and mindfulness. Each video has an Amazon link to buy the things you see in the video!
Why am I expatiating about this? Consumerism/capitalism have a habit of pretending to be other things. In this case about spirituality and mindfulness (don't start me on that one). Personally I love a good shop. But you won't find me pretending otherwise. My own aspiration is to be right sized, and I think that eiwi not involve disproportionate use of Stuff.
This is one of the reasons I started this blog. I had something to say and didn't want to write a Llewellyn book. I wanted it to be free on the internet and to embody my own do-it-yourself ethic, that you can't buy magic, but once you step on that path, what you need will always appear.
And I suppose this is my witchy version of mindfulness - I have to focus on my intent and do the Great Work without deviation.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, dear... I wonder who mindwiped her, and if she actually believes what she's saying?
    I must admit, I am curious about what you find interesting about what she has to say - I'm guessing that it's not all consumerism disguised as minimalism? Or is it just car-crash reading that you simply can't look away from?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dammit you know me so well.
      She is a person who has led an interesting life, with several different phases, and does have interesting things to say. She does have aspirations which are definitely good, and I don't think has been mindwiped, I just think like many believers in quack remedies she doesn't understand that enthusiastic claims are not empirical evidence. If you want I will drop you an email with the link?

      Delete
    2. Oh, go on then. A bit of Bank Holiday reading (although, I'm hoping I don't get too sucked in as I've got three books to read, and an art project to finish).

      Delete

All comments are moderated before publication