Sunday, February 10, 2013

Feeling arty

It has been tipping it down so far today so I decided against continuing the Rea walkway in the rain. Instead I decided to see the exhibition of government-owned art at the art gallery. I got to town far too early so took a walk to the peace gardens (in the rain, I know, this decision made sense at the time). In fact something happened: a Polish man came up to me & said, 'Nice day for a walk, eh?' I can't begin to guess his motives, whether to take the p*ss or trying to be English & getting it wrong, I just know I was unable to reply because of the filthy thoughts that immediately crossed my mind. He walked off with no further indication that he was making a pass at me, but the universe had given me a message that I was welcome. When the cat dies I'm thinking of moving to a flat in the city centre, & was already thinking I fancied that area.
I walked along the canal bank into the Mailbox, & bought series 3 of Dear Ladies in the BBC shop. Interesting predicament for this evening: watch Hinge & Bracket or The Krays?
Then to the record exchange on Smallbrook Queensway. They sell books for 50p each & I bought 4, including a book of quotes from Mae West, & Sayings of Sri Ramakrishna. It's true that the teacher comes along when the pupil is ready, I'm just not admitting to which of those two that refers.
Lunch at the wonderful Caribana (32 Holloway Circus, 0121 448 7608, caribanarestaurants.com I know this may not appear to refer in any way to witchcraft but it's my blog & I'll write about what I damn well please, because I'm a witch).
The finally to the exhibition. It featured a surprising number of pieces that I just liked, not all stuffy portraits, including a Tracey Emin. My favourite was Blue Tangle by Kenneth Martin. This is the first time I have seen pictures by Lowry in the flesh. Even though he died 40 years ago his pictures still seem remarkably modern. I'm afraid that I was disappointed by the five huge John Pipers in one sense. I was delighted by their flouncy Festival of Britain aesthetic, loved the colours, loved the impressionistic way he had painted impressions of buildings, but there was too much of them for the space they were in, & I feel they couldn't give of their best. Instead the picture attached to this post is another John Piper, the mural he did for BBC Centre in London, which will be closing this year.
------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated before publication