Tuesday, January 4, 2022

An Ethical Quandary


I should preface this post by saying that it is by way of thinking aloud and no actions should be taken on the basis of reading it.

I see that Marjorie Taylor Greene has finally been banned from Twitter for being a fool. I can see the argument that if you don't give these people a platform you force them underground and feed into their delusions of persecution. I can also see, and would come down on the side of, the argument that some points of view are so dangerous and just plain offensive, that they must not be given a hearing in civilized society.

The problem is that the society we live in is drifting so quickly towards Fascism that views and opinions which are just plain murderous are gaining further acceptance.

The obvious example is the view that we should just ignore coronavirus and the weak and the old can just die. I just wish I was caricaturing this.

The other obvious example is that our current UK government are interested in anything other than themselves and lining the pockets of their cronies. They are not governing the country and in my opinion the queen should use the legal power she has to dissolve parliament. They've made a few colossal mistakes - as the expert in human behaviour I am I could tell them for a fact that at some point taking away legal right to protest will in itself cause riots. But they didn't bother asking me.

The real problem is that the people in the ascendant cannot be reasoned with. They honestly don't care about anyone else and so have to be told, which brings me to the quandary. If you force these people to behave in a way which bears any consideration for anyone else, you are behaving exactly like them.

However if you don't force them - this will sound apocalyptic - the world will actually end. I am certain it will at some point because the sun can't last forever, but we're heading for an apocalyptic end of poverty, violence, starvation, and so on.

I don't have an answer to this. I'm lucky because I'm old, have no descendants and so would not be leaving this shambles for anyone else, but I honestly don't understand why you would bring a child into the world at this point.

I am acutely aware that this is the kind of power struggle I so often write about here. I am also acutely aware that the majority of people are sheep and will not do anything about it. Greta Thunberg is all very well but she won't change the trajectory.

Anyone any ideas?

Oh - I have a perfect soundtrack to this.



4 comments:

  1. Like the Tiger I am, I've been watching and strategizing the last couple of years. This year I'll make my strikes. We debated long and hard about whether to bring a child into this world or not. Even after we decided we would there were two years where it seemed it wasn't meant to be. Having a child, was like putting my hat in the ring to fight for the future. I don't just fight for some ambiguous future generation; I fight for him and all his friends and classmates I've met along the way.

    The worst thing we can do is give up. You don't have to have kids to invest in the future. Do whatever you do best to subvert the Fascist bastards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I honestly think that's a very brave decision. And I have thought about whether to say this next bit but decided I will - my first thought was that I thought it was especially brave in a country getting perilously close to civil war (my opinion and observation, not a prediction). Do you have an exit strategy?
      You didn't say it explicitly but I think you've picked up on my tiredness after yonks of battling fools - which of course is bound to increase my cynicism.
      Right - off to battle my tiredness with another nap.

      Delete
  2. You don't need to worry about me, dear. I could get special authorization for an emergency visa to Canada for my family in a matter of hours. The only question would be, do I go with them? or do I stay for the fight?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Damnit I wish I had a way to flee to Canada. Terribly jealous. I'm hoping Scotland gains independence and rejoins Europe so we all have somewhere to claim asylum.

      Delete

All comments are moderated before publication