Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Putting the Fun into Fundamentalism

I am in many ways a very fundamentalist witch. Not in the sense of literally believing the ahistorical Old Religion narrative, but in the very literal way I take the major principles of witchcraft as understood by me.
And I think the 'by me' bit is very important; I realise that until events pushed me in the direction of magic, I was looking for a way to come into my own power & authority. Having done so I make no apology for articulating my principles on the basis of my own authority - although a lot are 'traditional' in the sense that modern witchcraft is a movement if chronic non-joiners united in some common experiences. You cannot be a witch alone, that's one of these principles, naturally taking the witch finders' principle & deliberately misunderstanding it to mean that as a witch you are never alone really.
I have recently been reminded of the major witch principle of joy. Yes, sometimes you have to do what you have to do if it gives you no pleasure, & I would tend to phrase the principle in terms of, 'Mother doesn't want me to be unhappy'. Once again this turns much of the dominant religious world on it's head. There are even religious tendencies which accentuate dourness & dreariness. Some Christians don't dance, for example. Ever. On principle. And we are supposed to be the weirdos.
When you are free from the command to be miserable, it frees you up to seek enjoyment in all areas of life. In my occupational health appointment this morning, for example. I simply told the woman what was happening, & as a result the report to my 'manager', with a copy to HR, will say words to the effect of, This isn't a health problem, you should've listened to him in the first place, you f*ckwit.
The illustration, by the way, is my 'manager'. She actually ran away from me the other day (I shouted hello after her, if she wants to play happy families, I'll play happy f*cking families & really worry her), & has obviously taken refuge in the bottle. Shame.

2 comments:

  1. Am I seeing things, or does she/Zippy have a bag over her head? And the tag on the mouth-zip makes it look like she's licking her lips at the array of alcohol before her! But, really? Campari? Is she Lorraine Chase?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, she's not even that classy, more a bottle of wine an evening type - the old queen drinks are for me. There is indeed a bag over her head, which bizarrely seems to be getting tighter even though she's not breathing!

      Delete

All comments are moderated before publication