Friday, October 15, 2021

Agony Hound: Do my secret sex fantasies mean I should leave my wife and try something different?


Another Coleen Nolan this time, from here.



Dear Coleen, I’m a man in my late-30s, married with two young children. My problem is, I’ve been fantasising a lot about sleeping with other women.


I love my wife and find her very attractive, so I wouldn’t actually have an affair, but I can’t stop thinking about what it would be like.


I’ve been married for five years but we’ve been together for nearly 10. When we had our first child, we relocated out of the city to be nearer to her parents. I didn’t want to do it, but I did it because I love her and could see the benefits in having help from the grandparents.


Maybe I’m just craving something different – I feel life is just ticking along or maybe even passing me by.



Surely I’m too young to be feeling like this? Our sex life has always been good although, if I’m honest, we could do it more often and it could be more adventurous.


I’m not sure why I’m having these feelings about other women so much, but I’m worried it means I shouldn’t be with my wife any more. But I’d never split up my family.


I’d love your opinion on what I should do.


Coleen says


You sound bored to me and if that’s the case, do something about it – don’t just sit around moping and thinking about it.


And be more honest with your wife, too. You don’t have to tell her you’ve been fantasising about other women, but you can tell her that you feel things have become mundane and ask her if she feels the same. For all you know, she might be thinking the exact same thing.


We’re all human and it’s natural to want to feel desired and to be looked at in a different way – ie, not just as a co-parent and a father. And this is especially true if you’re in a long-term relationship.


I just think you need to start by reminding yourself why you love your wife and find her sexy, and start doing some of the things you used to do before the kids came along. 

The Hound says:

Your question really piqued my interest because of the way you talk about these fantasies. They obviously bother you and you feel as if they could be prompting you in a certain direction but aren't sure.

Let me very clear what I mean: to me what you are describing is the normal situation, to my mind. I do understand that there are some people who just don't fantasize but I think it's the norm. Day dreaming about how your life could be different or fantasising about other women seem perfectly normal to me.

Is this actually new? Can you remember a time in your life before when you fantasised like this?

To me what is the real issue here is basically what Coleen says, that you are fantasising because you feel there isn't something right in your life. You obviously don't really want a fling, or to leave your wife so as Coleen says the key would be communicating and maintaining the relationship. Date night, for example.

I also think you could cultivate your fantasy to give you ideas about how you could build your marriage. As a witch I think fantasy to be one of the most useful things we have.

4 comments:

  1. I'm in agreement with Colleen and you, Hound. I think fantasies (and not just sexual ones) are part and parcel of life - sometimes they're just a diversion, or a "what if" scenario that doesn't have to go anywhere or be acted on, and sometimes they're an indicator that change is required.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you agree! Now if I could get Tom Hardy to agree to what my fantasies mean rather than replying to my messages through his solicitor....

      Delete
  2. I agree with you all. I've been in a committed relationship for 19 years now. Trust and communication are so important to a stable, healthy relationship. What I value most about my relationship is that tackle problems together. We'll spend days chewing on our own thoughts and if we feel there is a problem to be addressed we think it over then approach the other person and start the dialog. Some subjects need to be revisited over time, that's just the nature of people and emotions. When people try to demand quick answers from me I get hostile and defensive. In previous relationships if a partner got pushy and demanding with me, I'd go with the nuclear option. Just blow up the relationship. I'd rather be alone then be harassed by someone who thinks I should be doing something or other. My spouse is the same way. That's how two lone wolves end up becoming a two-pack.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated before publication