Wednesday, April 25, 2018

Quack Remedies

This is going to be another short one, I'm afraid, for reasons which will become apparent. Although Inexplicable does feel I tend to be a bit prolix.
For some time I have been lacking in energy and have been suffering with pain and stiffness in my hands, knees, and ankles. This has now been diagnosed as rheumatoid arthritis, which frankly is a relief to know what is wrong with me.
Something else has become very apparent to me - you wouldn't believe the array of quack remedies there are for arthritis, all intended to make desperate people with an unpredictable illness spend money on things which won't make them better.
In fact when the doctor asked me if I have a family history of arthritis I had to tell him that my mother always claimed to have it (she didn't) and drank cider vinegar every morning to make it better (the real reason was to turn my stomach at breakfast), to which in later years glucosamine (this was to add to the illusion that she was very ill and needed to take these remedies) was added. What my mother actually had is something which will now never be diagnosed, but I have my own ideas.
Her sister also claimed to have had either rheumatism or arthritis and to have had a miraculous recovery as a result of wearing a copper bangle.
What all of these 'remedies' have in common is that they don't work. Now let me explain what I mean by not working. If you drink cider vinegar, believing it will work, for what you think is arthritis (but may actually just be random aches and pains) you may feel a genuine benefit and may proclaim that this is a miraculous cure. That does not mean it has worked - that is the placebo effect. For cider vinegar and these other remedies to work in the emprical scientific method, they would have to reliably and measurable have a statistically significant effect a statistically significant number of times when all other variants have been controlled. Plus they would have to keep on doing this time and time again. In reality they don't. They *only* have the placebo effect.
What does this have to do with me, a practitioner of witchcraft and magic, surely the most quack thing ever invented? Well I'm not about to say cast a spell *alone* for your recovery from any illness. Yes, great, cast spells, pray, do whatever you do for whatever illness you have. The magical thing here is the mindset with which you approach your illness and its treatment (I mentioned this before when I went to hospital for something else, I'm a poor old hag). And the mindset is this: turn up to appointments, get the prescriptions, take the medication, talk to your doctor if there's a problem. Ffs what is it with people that they won't engage with the universe in *every* way to ensure their own health? For myself I'm currently feeling the best I've felt in weeks because I'm full of steroids, and because they're not going on for ever I don't have a problem with that. I will also be happy to take the actual treatment they're going to prescribe me, which is actually chemotherapy. I am satisfied that this is an evidence-based treatment which will optimise my quality of life and I personally only buy vinegar to clean out the dishwasher with. A pox on those who make false promises of these quack remedies and make money out of scared people with scary illnesses.
The magical mindset here is that I am going to go straight to acceptance and deal with it. The other magical mindset is that I have to act in accord myself, and behave as if I need to be looked after (even more than usual lol). True to form in the witch's world my employers have chosen to be dicks at this moment and although the doctor suggested I have a couple of weeks off work I was going to negotiate with them until my manager made a flippant remark about milking illnesses and asked me to come in at the weekend. She has since sent a grovelly text in response to my reply but once I get a GP appointment she'll be getting a certificate for as long as I feel I need one. Bitch. I come first, and that is the mindset which is going to make me live a long healthy life (surrounded by the bruised and battered remains of the people who don't support that resolution).
The Psychobitches video isn't perhaps related to the subject of the blog, but then this is my blog and you can't expect it to make too much sense.

2 comments:

  1. I don't like the word prolix. It sounds too... medical. Like prolapse. Which is topical, really considering the subject of this post (the "medical" bit, not specifically "prolapse").
    Anyway, rheumatoid arthritis, eh? Not the best, but a very sensible and witchy way to deal with it.

    P.S. Your mother drinking vinegar just to turn your stomach at breakfast is quite hilarious (whether you meant it to be or not - sorry).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Should I ever have a prolapse I can promise you it will appear on here in excruciating detail lol

      Delete

All comments are moderated before publication