Friday, November 12, 2021

Green Spaces in Birmingham


This blog aims to be useful and informative, not only in inspiring people to the magical arts, but I also claim to be a guide to the city as well. So here is a short guide to the green spaces, more or less cultivated, for those who would like to know.

First up we have Winterbourne House and Garden (which belongs to the University of Birmingham) which obviously offers both a house and a garden:

The house was built for John Nettlefold, a pioneer of early housing reform in Birmingham at a time when the city had a serious lack of decent homes for working people. John and his wife Margaret were from prestigious local families who had made their living in industry. Choosing their house to be designed in the Arts and Crafts style reflected their modern outlook.

Next we have the Botanical Gardens:

Being one of Birmingham’s best attractions, The Birmingham Botanical Gardens offers something for everyone, be it one of our four stunning glasshouses showing tropical rainforest to arid desert, playground, tearoom and garden gift shop all surrounded by some of the most beautiful gardens in the UK.

There are four glasshouses which range from our exotic Tropical House through to our Subtropical, Mediterranean and Arid Houses. There is a large lawn in front of the glasshouses with a range of beds and shrubberies around its perimeter. Overall, the character is that of a Victorian public park with a bandstand set in 15 acres (6.1 ha) of landscaped greenery.

Martineau Gardens is a therapeutic community resource:

Martineau Gardens is a beautiful therapeutic community garden and a charity, located two miles from Birmingham city centre. An oasis for wildlife, a haven of tranquillity, a destination for an outdoor escape, there are two and a half acres of organically managed landscape for you to explore.


I don't really do greenery but Moseley Bog is somewhere I have a soft spot for:

Moseley Bog is on the site of an old millpond. It is made up of both wet and dry woodland together with patches of fen vegetation which has developed on the site of an old millpond.

Joy's Wood is an area of secondary woodland, which has developed on the old gardens along the eastern boundary. Source

Of course this is not to mention the many parks and open spaces in the city.

And you didn't think I'd forgotten the canals did you? If you're lucky you might even bump into me sunning myself!


7 comments:

  1. Well, fancy. Edgbaston seems to be THE place to go for greenery in/around Birmingham.

    I'm quite taken by Mosely Bog, too. I think you should take some photos on your next visit so we can take a virtual tour with you. But, perhaps leave your camera at home when you go out "sunning yourself"...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I'll send the pictures straight to your inbox.
      Edgbaston is, it's true but there's also a huge cool patch to the north of the city on the thermal map which is Sutton Park.
      You really can sun yourself there!
      And I realise I completely forgot to mention the Lickey Hills. How could I forget the place with the most suggestive name?

      Delete
    2. Lickey Hills?! Wouldn't sound out of place around here!

      Delete
    3. Quite! The Lickey Hills where the incestuous father Ebenezer Grope was pushed down the well by his daughter, perhaps? Or is that a bit Florida?

      Delete
  2. Who doesn't like a nice bog now and then? I've been branching out into bog planters and considering the prospect of making a large one next summer. I have so many newt, frog, and dragonfly friends I'm sure the would cheer for such an addition to our shared habitat! Thank you for putting this post together! You know I'm all about green spaces! The part about the Botanical gardens was hard to read, being it gray on black. Were you trying to give up the feeling that we dreamt that part? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is such a kind thing to say, that I put thought into the presentation of and ease of reading of this blog. Rather than just throwing the contents of my head at a page and seeing what sticks!
      Damnit given the secret away.
      Actually it's because I find the act of copying and pasting in blogger a complete nightmare and gave up on that bit. If it's an extensive passage I find I have to paste text as plain text elsewhere first.
      I hadn't heard of them but am fascinated at the idea of bog planters - container gardening for people who overdo it rather than neglect the plants!

      Delete
  3. I should make it a DYI project for my Nature-Led post next Spring! Its very easy - a pot within a deep dish, high organic soil like compost and vermiculite to keep the soil light and aerated. Prefers rainwater of filtered spring water. My problem is taking pictures as I go through the steps of any project. I'm always get so busy living in the moment I rarely stop to take pictures of it.

    You made an effort and that's what counts as far as I'm concerned.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated before publication