Thursday, May 20, 2021

Agony Hound: My health anxiety has convinced me I have lung cancer


This one is a Dear Deirdre that was just begging to have the Hound involved. The original query goes:

DEAR DEIDRE: I GOOGLED my symptoms and now I’m convinced I’ve got lung cancer.

I’m a 38-year-old man and worry constantly about my health – and my wife’s.

Recently, I’ve been having chest and back pain and a fuzzy feeling in my head.

I know this could just be anxiety or stress. But what if it’s more serious?

I don’t smoke, but non-smokers can get lung cancer, too.

When I’m busy at work, the symptoms go away.

As soon as things are quiet and I have time to think, they start up again.

It’s impossible to get an appointment at my doctor’s surgery. I feel sick with worry.

And Deirdre's answer is:

DEIDRE SAYS: Although it is tempting to use Dr Google, internet research can raise unfounded health concerns so is best avoided.

Do keep trying to get a doctor’s appointment, for your peace of mind.

In the meantime, my support packs on nervous stress and panic attacks should give you guidance.

You may also find it helpful to contact Anxiety UK (anxietyuk.org.uk, 03444 775774) who can offer support and advice.

My own answer is:
Anxiety is in my opinion the worst mental health condition and has a significant impact on people's quality of life. It doesn't help that because it is also the most common, health professionals tend not to see its effect. You have told me something very important in your question which is the all-important fact that you know you have health anxiety and you know it makes you worry unnecessarily. At the same time you are also naturally concerned that you may actually have a serious illness and don't want to neglect it if you have.
This means there are actually two sides to you getting on top of this: getting on top of the anxiety and making sure you don't have a major illness.
The main evidence-based therapy for anxiety is Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and if you have not already had it most NHS Improving Access to Psychological Therapies services take self referrals. You can search your local one to find out.
If you have already had CBT and it feels as if nothing has changed, please don't despair. Many people with anxiety can need several goes of treatment. In addition to the helpline there are many self-help resources to use as well. If you want a book, Self Help for your Nerves is a good one. I have known many people feel like it was hopeless until things just clicked. You may also find mindfulness and relaxation techniques useful.
You also said that it isn't such a problem when you're busy and some people find it's helpful to keep their mind occupied. I would also suggest being nice to yourself and giving yourself treats, because, well, just because!
To know when to worry about your physical health Deirdre is right that Dr Google isn't that useful but you may find the NHS website is helpful because it tells you when to ask for professional help. For example under lung cancer it says to seek help if you have: 
  • a persistent cough
  • coughing up blood
  • persistent breathlessness
  • unexplained tiredness and weight loss
  • an ache or pain when breathing or coughing
Source
If you have those then I would strongly advise getting a GP appointment. There are other ways of knowing. You will know which of your family and friends give you objective and helpful feedback. If all else fails you can give 111 a ring.
You may also be aware of the physical symptoms of anxiety, some of which themselves cause concern about illnesses like heart disease. You can find them here and even though the usual rule in mental health is to sort out someone's physical health first, these symptoms mean sometimes the physical symptoms only go when the anxiety reduces. It will never completely go, and it is important to recognise that literally everyone experiences some level of anxiety, even if they don't show it.
Of you want something magical to do, there are a few good things.
There is the South American tradition of worry dolls - you give a worry to each of the dolls and make them do the worrying. 
It may be useful to do an inventory of what you are actually thinking about the anxiety. For example if you try the worry doll thing and realise that you are thinking 'this is never going to work' then that thought is the next thing to work on. Using CBT techniques ahem! If you find yourself realising you have some thought that you hadn't noticed before, congratulations, your inner world has already changed, the essence of real magic.
 To get rid of the anxiety I would suggest a candle spell. If you feel the candle and imagine your anxiety going into the candle, then in your mind imagine or see the anxiety reducing as you burn it. Don't be disappointed if it isn't solved after one candle - it sounds like you've had this for a long time.
I would hope that all of the things here help you to feel you have a handle on the anxiety rather than it running you, which is what it sounds like in your letter! Blessings from the Hound.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated before publication