Tuesday, October 2, 2012

The right sort of person

I'm writing this on the bus going home from the moot. The traffic doesn't usually look like that at this time of night! We're passing groups of students settling down for a good night of partying & there are some going home as well.
Some people from another moot came to our moot last time & it struck me how different the 'culture' of their moot is. They hold public rituals, have formal talks about things, and are generally so much more organised than us. The culture of our moot suits me much better. People either come to ours (or avoid it) because we are not on our best behaviour & will often not say the 'right' thing. While there may not be so much formal teaching it still serves the function of a gathering of magical people: to give each other support, draw on the resources of the group & generally stop oneself going off ones head.
I would venture to say that I also like the 'party line' at our moot. Perhaps it's a sign I'm getting old that I can see that it's a party line: there would have been a time when I would have seen our orthodoxy as the only way a sensible person could possibly see things (of course deep down I still know it to be so really). Our orthodoxy is a Hutton-influenced one of history, & of diversity in practice. If we think someone's talking rubbish, we'll tend to tell you so. This is a function of a magical gathering that I didn't mention above: to have ones views challenged, particularly as a solitary. One of the people from the other moot asserted as a fact something which was just plain wrong & I'm afraid didn't like it when I told him so.
I am smugly satisfied to have found a community where not only I can find sense being talked, but they'll also tell me to shut up when I become too much!
------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated before publication