Friday, February 24, 2023

My Lent Book

Lent began for the Christians on the 22nd and in the practice I have stolen from them I have once again selected a Lent book. This is the practice as it appears in the Rule of St Benedict:

During the days of Lent, they should be free in the morning to read until the third hour, after which they will work at their assigned tasks until the end of the tenth hour. During this time of Lent each one is to receive a book from the library, and is to read the whole of it straight through. These books are to be distributed at the beginning of Lent. Above all, one or two seniors must surely be deputed to make the rounds of the monastery while the brothers are reading. Their duty is to see that no brother is so apathetic as to waste time or engage in idle talk to the neglect of his reading, and so not only harm himself but also distract others. Source

Every year I choose a book purely because I want to read it and it's unsuitable as a Lent book. This year it's a children's book of solve it yourself mysteries with fascinating pictures to get lost in. Because I can.


2 comments:

  1. Oh, I used to love a good Usborne book! Greek Myths & Legends was my favourite. In fact, I might fish it out and have a read this evening!

    How's your Lent reading going? Solved all those msyteries yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Usborne books are great! They have wonderful details in the illustrations. I've done two out of three and am saving the final one.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated before publication