Sunday, January 15, 2023

The Rule of Law

Politically, I am an anarchist, and know enough about it to know that it bears more resemblance to, say, the consensus process Quakers use than 'anarchy' as fantasized by the right. For this reason, while somewhat puzzled that the people of this country aren't noticeably rioting, I see it as in some ways a good sign that we aren't. 

Here's the thing. I don't doubt for an instant that members of the current government have committed crimes. Misconduct in public office, for example, carries a life sentence. Lying by saying in the Commons that you haven't been partying in lockdown when you have, is another one that both Johnson and Sunak should be tried for.

And that's the point: if we don't try them under the law, we're as bad as them. Don't get me wrong, I would find it very difficult to criticize anyone engaged in a glorious revolution in our current circumstances but we need to be able to consistently say that the MPs in question have broken the law. Not everyone else. Even with our weak democracy and weak legal set up we need them to be the ones history will decide are wrong.

I think what I'm saying is that I want to live in a country where public life is governed by the broad 'consensus' of the law, because that's how it goes in a civilized country. The other thing is that the longer this goes on the closer we get to the historic end of the Conservative Party. The kids are alright, and they're the ones who will gloriously vote them out using the ballot box instead of shooting them.

I have a dream which is that there won't be a Conservative candidate in Birmingham Ladywood at the next election. Honestly they might as well not bother because Labour got 79% of the vote at the last election, but if there is one I won't risk splitting the opposition and will vote tactically to keep them out. In the happy event that there isn't a Con candidate I will vote for what I want either True and Fair (unlikely to be a candidate) or Green because the people of this constituency can be relied on not to elect a Reform UK MP. However in the distant past it's had Con and Liberal MPs and Clare Short of blessed memory sat as an independent for a time.

NB Comments are always welcome but I'll not allow any about Corbyn or Starmers centrism and certainly none saying 'Im too left wing to vote Labour and do what realistically has to be done to get the concentration-camps-and-death-penalty party out. This isn't the winning argument you apparently think it is and I'm not wasting my life arguing with twats.

Pictured: the Coronation Chair commissioned in 1297 after we stole the Stone of Scone.

2 comments:

  1. The hardest part about moving a society forward for the sake of the public good is getting people to overcome their apathy and distrust. You don't have to prove someone is dishonest, you just have to make the suggestion that they are and the damage is done. Back in my Crisis Communications class many moons ago, the Professor said that for every bad experience we have with someone/something, it takes ten positive experiences to counteract that one negative. I see truth in this. One of my favorite restaurants that I've been going to for years; I can't recall every great meal there, but I can distinctly remember the one time back in 2010ish that they put a whole boatload of salt in the mashed potatoes, and it was awful! I can forgive, but I can't forget, even when I want too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this. And of course I'm famous for fucking off over the salt.
      I actually just think with our inertia humanity is doomed. I mean, are we really suggesting selective evolution chose us to rule the world over cats????

      Delete

All comments are moderated before publication