Monday, September 5, 2022

Spirit of Place: Bordesley Station

High time I did another post about some part of this great city, which is my 'hedge'. 

The last one I did was about Duddeston Viaduct and this one is about a site on the nearby active railway viaduct. You enter Bordesley Station, the least used station in the Midlands, through this entrance under a railway arch, which you wouldn't know was there. You have to go up to the station because it's up on the level of the viaduct, rather than ground level.

Bordesley station was opened in 1855 by the Great Western Railway on their main line from London (Paddington) to Birkenhead (Woodside). It was originally a two platform station, but was rebuilt as a four platform station with two island platforms when the line was upgraded to four tracks during 1915. The station once had extensive cattle sidings adjacent to and on Bordesley Viaduct. This viaduct was intended to link the line from Bordesley to the Derby Line but was left incomplete when it was realised that trains would be unable to serve Birmingham Curzon Street railway station, where rail services then terminated.

The station still carries the painted lettering "BR(W) Bordesley Cattle Station", and "Bordesley Cattle Station GWR" from the time when, as part of the Great Western Railway and later British Rail's (Western) region, it was used to bring cattle from the countryside to the Bull Ring markets.

The station was downgraded in the 1960s to minimal facilities and services, and one island platform was taken out of use. Source

I love this station dearly, but mainly because of its Sapphire and Steel vibe. It does actually feel like the sort of place an errant ghost train would drop you off to be tormented by a long dead stationmaster with a grudge, cheered on by the ghosts of all the cattle who had been transported there.

In line with this vibe, incredibly for a city it is usually only served by one train a week, away from it and into the city centre. While this is colloquially referred to as a ghost train the marvellous technical name under the Railway Regulation Act 1844 for these sort of trains is parliamentary train.

What if you missed it and got locked in the station with a bunch of resentful cows?

I think the reason it's kept open is that it also gets used when Birmingham's only football club play at the nearby St Andrew's stadium. I'm sure the dead stationmaster supports them.

In fact you can probably see him on this old picture:


Finally, on the subject of ghost trains, have a butchers at this steam train, in the livery of the London, Midland and Scottish Railway which ceased to exist in the 1940s, going through nearby Bournville Station LAST YEAR. Imagine seeing that if you weren't expecting it!

4 comments:

  1. Fascinating. I can't imagine having a train that only comes once a week. It there another train station nearby then that is more traveled?

    I'm sure you're not at all surprised that I'm very sensitive to 'spirit of place'. Last week I was explaining to a new friend a house that I had never been in yet had a strong attachment too that was ultimately torn down to make way for cheaply made and bloated new housing. I expected her to think me crazy, but when I looked at her, she was nearly moved tears. I had unintentionally projected my deep sense of loss about it through words. At my age and experience, I rarely inflict bleed over, but this woman and I have such a natural sense of Kith. I talk to her more freely, like we've been friends for generations and not a few months.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're absolutely right that I'm not surprised, nor at your ability to communicate that sensation with your kith!
    There isn't another station nearby, it's on a major road junction. I love the way the train doesn't come back, like the place is doomed and you must flee.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't see the dead stationmaster, but I think I can see a cow in court shoes and a gabardine coat?

    While waiting for the train at Bournville Station, I found myself getting annoyed with the nose-whistler. However, that was soon forgotten when the train charged through. Wow! Quite a sight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Damnit the nose whistler IS the stationmaster! How did he get there?
      As for the cow, honestly you can see her any night sauntering down Hurst Street!

      Delete

All comments are moderated before publication